Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Concert Practices

It turns out that history is repeating, again. No summer job interview, not even news from "Dialogue" - tho I guess they are still recruiting new writers - I think I will have a dull summer again, well, except for the big event in AUG. LOL

What if one day I become rich and famous (quoted from "The Diary of a Wimpy Kid", good book!!), I am sure whatever my memoir is gonna be, the part about my youth would be a piece of shit.

Talking about youth, I am thinking about the kids I saw earlier at the train station. From their "kits" (like banners, fluorescent stick, etc) and the fact that the train station is just beside of the coliseum which is a popular place for lives and pop concerts, I was sure that the kids were fans of some band or something. Staring at them, my mum went like "would they be as enthusiastic as now when they are doing school?" And I just burst into a big laugh. I remember that when I was in the high school, concerts and lives are no-go for me. One I did not have enough money. Two my favorite bands are Japanese and they did not come usual. Three my parents were quite against these kinds of function and I couldn't figure out why, even now. I wondered if there was an age-limit for them about these things cuz now, I am a concert-goer - whatever artists or bands are coming, as long as I can find someone to accompany me and the ticket price is reasonable, plus it can accommodate with my schedule, I will go. Indeed, I am kinda addicted to live performance as now I am interested in drama, musical, stand-up comedy and things like that.

But talking about lives and concerts, from the kids I saw at the train station, I realized one funny thing: fans of Asian bands (esp Hong Kong and Taiwan) love to use what I call "kits" in concerts, however we seldom found fans in other places bring stuff to lives. Now I have to say that I am not doing racial discrimination but just see this as some cultural phenomenon. Maybe it's due to the different habits in concerts. In Hong Kong, local bands and artists love to go to places where people can sit during the concert. It sounds like locals don't like standing. However for me, I think standing gives you more space to dance or move in the music. Anyway, maybe due to this sitting habit, local fans love to bring banners or lighting stuff as a kind of enhancement of the atmosphere, or, attraction - they hope the lighting stuff can make their idols turn their heads and have certain kind of communication with them.

So the problem comes to me is, is it the live music that they want in a concert or they just want to see their idols? For me, I think going concerts is for the sake of enjoying live music, seeking that kind of feeling totally different from listening to iPod. Of cause seeing the bands in person is a kind of pleasure but what's more important is the music, so why striking for the artists' attention while you gotta throw yourself into the sea of music? Personally I think that's kinda tiring, taking care of sth except of music in such kind of occasion.

But there is something undeniable is that, the pop concert culture in different places are different. (OK, I know that's too general for conclusion but what do you ask for? I am just mumbling in this blog!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment