As titled, I just can't imagine I have abandoned this blog for more than a year. Reading the "most recent" blog post, tho it is complaining about my work and (female) boss who took my name away and forced me to be called in another way which I did not like, ironically I miss those days now.
People always say that going to school is way much better than going to work, coz it's all yours in school and you are totally free with all the aspects in life. As for work, you will be pushed by boss(es), colleagues, and the worst, clients. Well, somehow I do agree with that because at least I have control over my schedule, the people I have to be responsible with are my groupmates only, and that's all. However the 3 years I spent with Comparative Literature has completely shaped me into a logical thinker rather than a scientific thinker. It is to my surprise that academically speaking, Advertising is such a pain in the ass because we need to make up data and information for the doggone projects from time to time.
Think this is worst to be liars? Well it's just school project so no one cares, however what makes me feel sick is the attitude of the programme leader, who is a full time professor of the university.
I am always thankful for the fact that being open-minded is a must for ad guys, and that's why I am getting along quite well with the Mainland Chinese that we are able to appreciate the brighter parts of each other and won't end up with quarrel - well, at least on the surface, deep down in political terms we might not be getting along this well, I don't know cause I won't risk our friendship on this. However my professor - who is a Hong Kong citizen - seems ignoring the political factors and try to encourage the ideology that Hong Kong has to open up itself to China. What? OK, professor, first, in Basic Law, which I still distinctive remember, it is stated that at least for 50 years Hong Kong can keep its own way of doing - which includes political - that is different from Mainland China. In short, their doings should not affect us in this scale as we see now. Second, all we need is mutual respect. Tourists, honestly, are indeed the most representative tourism endorsement for a place. This is one of the most subtle forms of PR in a national scale. The sad thing is for most of the Chinese tourists we meet on the street are rude and impolite. And worse they love to break your rules and take that as something to be glorified, oh and they see themselves as our saviors coz they "give us money to spend". The worst thing is, when all we can see are "endorsement" in this kind, how can we Hong Kong citizens have good impression towards this place? How can we build a sense of belonging for this place? Plus the undesirable political environment, a not-so-money-oriented local would not dare to go to work there, at least not willingly. It does not mean that we are closing ourselves, but when this is the way to keep ourselves safe, we would probably chose this hard way.
And I shall pay my most respect to CC Tang, one of the best creatives in Hong Kong who had worked in China for several years and is still proud of being a Hong Kong citizen. I love his "be Hong Kong" statement - indeed, why China needs another Shanghai and Beijing, both economically and politically?
Oh my bad, I forget what the Communists fear most is difference.
I think the most unbearable point now is that I can totally feel what it's like to be with people who are being cultural different from you, like even tho we write in the same language, for most of the time I cannot get their meaning coz their ways of writing is totally different from us. Tho we do respect each other in most situations, but I sense the differences so strongly that I know, our city and this country can hardly get along. This is not an epic love story which only 2 people are involved, but the whole community consists of 7 millions people. Cultural differences are real unbreakable obstacles for two places to break through. Why can't they just learn the way when Britain took over Wales? Just let it be, time will group them together in a harmonious way.
But at this stage, all I ask for it "leave us alone", that's all.
Thursday, November 22, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment