Sunday, March 31, 2013

Such thing as Communication

Well, I can't say that it's stupid but such trend is quite stupid - the trend that more and more parent would allow their kids to play with smartphones and tablets, for the sake of keeping them quite.

Back in the Easter Mass (btw, happy Easter), I saw two fathers trying to calm their kids throughout the ritual. Father A tried to do so by letting his son play a thrilling game on his Samsung smartphone, while Father B would try to make his daughter keep quite by letting her play with reusable stickers, which is quite cute actually.

However, in the end, it was the little girl who shout in the middle of the mass, and the little boy was quite comfortable with his toy. After awhile he even put it aside and try to attend the mass with his dad.

Well, from day 1 I did like the trend that parents let children play with smartphones just for keeping them calm but what I observed was that, even tho Father B did so, his personal communication with the son was much more than Father A, despite his toy for the daughter was more "supposed-for-children".

Maybe the boy senses that his father still pay attention to him during the mass thus he could keep his calm, or maybe it's just the boy's personality - he is born to be a quiet kid...anyway, I was pretty sure Father B did a better job in communicating with his son.

Toys may evolve, it's face-to-face communication that matters.

But I still oppose the idea of letting children to play with smartphones and tablets, it's not good for their eyes foe God's sake!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment